Facts & Quotes
- Fuel wasted sitting in traffic reached a total of 2.9 billion gallons in 2011 – enough to fill the New Orleans Superdome four times. Texas A&M Transportation Institute Urban Mobility Report, 2012
- General Mills estimates that for every one mile per hour reduction in average speeds of its trucking shipments below the posted speed limits adds $2 million in higher annual costs. BAF: Falling Apart and Falling Behind
- By failing to invest in our vital transportation systems by 2020, businesses would pay an extra $430 billion in transportation costs, household incomes would fall by $7,000 and U.S. exports would fall by $28 billion. American Society of Civil Engineers
- According to UPS, if congestion causes each UPS delivery driver to incur 5 minutes of delay it would cost the company $100 million. BAF: Falling Apart and Falling Behind
- In Chicago, the nation’s biggest rail center, congestion is so bad that it takes a freight train longer to get through the city limits than it does to get to Los Angeles. BAF: Falling Apart and Falling Behind
- The on-site costs of mining metallurgical coal in North America may be the same as in Australia. But the cost of shipping it to the coasts to export it to Asia is up to 4 times greater due to transportation and logistical costs. BAF: Falling Apart and Falling Behind
- According to the US Department of Energy, a fully functioning smart grid will mean improved reliability, better efficiency and reduce America’s dependence on foreign oil. US Department of Energy
- It is estimated that nearly 30 percent of urban congestion is created by drivers cruising for parking. Smart parking services are designed to get drivers to their destinations without searching and the uncertainty related to cost and other considerations Intelligent Transportation Society of America
- About 51% of the generating capacity of the US is in plants that were at least 30 years old at the end of 2010. Most gas-fired capacity is less than 10 years old, while 73% of all coal-fired capacity is 30 years or older. American Society of Civil Engineers, 2011
- In 2000, the one-hour outage that hit the Chicago Board of Trade resulted in $20 trillion in trades delayed. US Department of Energy, 2008
Mesa, Arizona Mayor John Giles explains why infrastructure investment is important in his community.
- Press Release Former Pennsylvania Governor Edward Rendell Calls for Port, Waterway Strategy in Speech to American Association of Port Authorities Read More
- Press Release BAF Educational Fund Releases Infrastructure Report: Falling Apart and Falling Behind Read More
- Published Report An Economic Analysis of Infrastructure Investment Read More
Public construction spending as a percentage of GDP (TLPBLCONS/(GDP*1000) is lower than it has been over the last 20 years reaching a high of 0.023 in 2009 to its current level between 0.016 and 0.017.