***In Case You Missed It***
SEC. LAHOOD MORE OPTIMISTIC THAN EVER ABOUT A TRANSPORTATION BILL MOVING FORWARD IN WASHINGTON
Predicts 80% of U.S. will be connected via high-speed rail in 25 years.
WASHINGTON, DC – Building America's Future (www.BAFuture.org), a national and bipartisan coalition dedicated to securing a renewed and reformed federal commitment to infrastructure, today held a national forum: “America’s Infrastructure at a Crossroads.”
The sold-out event, featuring a keynote address from U.S. Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood (speaking via satellite) and a panel of the best minds on the topic from government, technology and the financial sector, examined the urgent needs facing the nation's infrastructure and focused on solutions to increase America’s safety and quality of life, create jobs, stimulate economic growth and improve transparency and accountability.
Saying he was “more optimistic than ever” about the timing of major transportation policy legislation in Washington, Secretary Ray LaHood announced that he would be meeting with the President to discuss the Administration’s “transformational vision” to move our country's infrastructure forward. One area of focus: a U.S. high-speed rail system.
“We don’t know where the lines will fall on a map or where the money will come from, but I promise you in less time that it took to create our interstates, [the country] will have high-speed rail,” said Secretary Ray LaHood. LaHood also predicted that 80 percent of the country would be connected via high-speed rail in 25 years.
“We're delighted the Secretary joined us on the same day he's going to the White House to discuss infrastructure investment and reform,” said Governor Ed Rendell (D-PA), co-chair of Building America’s Future. “We hope the Secretary takes our message to the President: infrastructure is one of the most effective ways to help create good-paying jobs, increase Americans’ quality of life and show how we can efficiently invest during hard times."
The Building America's Future forum, co-sponsored by TechQuest Pennsylvania, featured the following panelists:
- Ed Rendell, Governor of Pennsylvania
- Andrew Moore, Director, Google
- Jon Corzine, Chairman and CEO MF Global Holdings, Former US Senator, Governor New Jersey
- Dick Gephardt, President and CEO Gephardt Government Affairs, former House Democratic Leader
- Terry O'Sullivan, General President, LIUNA
- William Stout, Chairman and CEO, Gannett Fleming Engineering
- Kelly Lewis, President and CEO, TechQuest PA
Other materials from the event include...
- To view our live Twitter feed from the event, please click HERE.
- To watch the forum, please click HERE.
- To view pictures from the event, please click HERE.
- To view Secretary LaHood's blog of the event, please click HERE.
- To view media coverage, please click HERE.
- And click on the video below to hear Governor Rendell and Secretary LaHood discuss the importance of infrastructure investment: