State and local governments account for about 75 percent of total public spending on transportation and water infrastructure and the federal government accounts for the other 25 percent.
Facts & Quotes
In 2009 Indonesia spent 3 percent of its GDP on infrastructure.
In 2009 India spent about 4 percent of its GDP on infrastructure.
In 2009 China spent about 9 percent of its GDP on infrastructure.
In 2009 Canada spent about 2.9 percent of its GDP on infrastructure.
As a share of GDP, U.S. public spending on infrastructure has ranged from 2.3 percent to 2.5 percent since the mid – 1980’s. The peak period during the late 1950’s and early 1960’s had it at 3 percent of GDP.
Public construction spending as a percentage of GDP (TLPBLCONS/(GDP*1000) is lower than it has been over the last 20 years reaching a high of 0.023 in 2009 to its current level between 0.016 and 0.017.
America’s transportation network is comprised of approximately 4 million miles of roads, 117,000 miles of rail, 600,000 bridges, 12,000 miles of commercially navigable waterways, 11,000 miles of transit (including more than 5,000 miles of rail transit), more than 3,000 transit rail stations, 300 ports, and 19,700 airports.
Public transit users save over $9,381 per year by using public transit instead of driving.
Vehicle travel on America’s highways increased by 16 percent from 2000 to 2016, while new road mileage increased by only 5 percent.
45 percent of America’s major urban highways are congested.
In some urban areas driving on roads in need of repair can cost the average driver $482 per year.